My family is scattered to the four winds. Thomas went home with my Mama and Daddy on Sunday, Jack and Emma left for Girls Camp Monday morning and Liz stayed with our niece Amberli while I was at work. I went home at lunch on Monday to an empty house- the first time that’s happened in a very long time.
I’ll be honest and admit that I haven’t been very sad about this exodus. Time alone is a completely underrated and under utilized as a psychiatric balm. I have friends who haven’t learned to appreciate the healing power of the quiet – the freedom – the power of spending time with one’s self. Here are a few things you can do with time alone:
- Listen to your preferred music at your preferred volume and dancing to said music with no one laughing at you.
- Read without interruption.
- Eat cold spaghetti out of a bowl and not share.
- Go to sleep on the couch at 8:00 PM.
- Stay up ’til the infomercials take over.
- Have pop tarts and popcorn for supper.
- Did I mention read without interruption?
- Sort … anything at lunch and find the piles the way you left them when you come back after work.
- Lay in supplies of Dr. Pepper and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and find them again … period!
- Watch a movie without having to explain it to anyone.
- Watch a movie without having to hit the pause button.
- Watch a movie without the danger of hearing damage because the TV is so loud.
- Oh, and read without interruption.
I’ll not comment on which, if any, of the above I’ve personally enjoyed in the past 48 hours, but you can see the draw. I don’t want time alone for always, but a couple of days every now and again: priceless!